New Member Area Are you new to 4 Runner Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

POTENTIAL New Member - questions about buying a used 4-Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Default POTENTIAL New Member - questions about buying a used 4-Runner

Hello - this will be a classic NEWB post and I apologize in advance for the general questions, but I was hoping for some input from you guys ASAP. A little about me first, I've been a member of TundraSolutions.com for a few years (very active member) and I currently own a 2010 Tundra CrewMax 4x4.

Long story short, money is getting tight and I have to consider selling/trading in my truck, taking about $6k-8k in profits, and buy something used. I've always liked the 4-Runners, and it looks like it can still tow a decent amount, and haul me and the family (me, wife, 2 kids) around. I prefer a truck, but if need be, I'll just use my trailer to pickup stuff.

I have alot of faith in Toyota, so I don't have a problem buying used. I'm trying to keep it in the $12k-14k range. I have found about six 03-05 4-Runners in that price range, with mileage ranging from 75k-110k. I'm in Detroit (metro) and I need 4x4.

So, I have a few questions for you owners, and I appreciate the help:

- What concerns should I worry about shopping for a used 4-Runner in the range I'm looking at? What should I especially look for when I'm test-driving them.

- What are the "must-have" options, if any, that I should be looking for, considering moderate towing duties and family hauling.

- I had the 4.7L v8 in my '07 Tundra (traded up to the amazing 5.7L in my '10) ... I've never driven the 4.0L 6-banger, and I don't know anything about it. So, considering between the 4.0 & the 4.7, what are the main differences between these engines in the 4-Runner ? What kind of actual mileage are u guys getting? Is the 4.0L adequate or should I hold out for the 4.7?

- Towing: What kind of limits should I reasonably set/expect? Should I even consider towing duties on a truck with higher miles?

- IF I do end up buying a truck with 80k + miles, are there any maintenance issues I should expect that will be coming up in the near future?

- Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Thanks guys (and gals)... I appreciate the help.

My truck:

Name:  IMG_20110512_173045a.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 PM

Welcome popo! Great looking Tundra! I'm afraid I don't have much (really, not ANY) experience with the newer 4Runners--all my time has been with the 2-Gen model (90-95) with the wimpy 3.0 V6. Just wanted to warn you this seems to be a sparsely-visited forum, so you may want to try others as well. As for your questions, if you're getting an automatic, I would make sure it has a tranny cooler for towing. For rigs over 80k miles, I would highly consider a new timing belt/water pump, as you're entering the standard maintenance window for those (unless the newer ones have different schedules)--you don't want that puppy going out unexpectedly. As for towing with a higher mileage truck--with Toyotas, I wouldn't hesitate--they're just as good at 100k as they were new. On the engines, I know the 3.0 was a total wimp, but that 4.0 is probably pretty strong--really depends on how much you intend to pull with it. I'd check out the "Yotatech" forum, and maybe do a web search for magazine tests of the particular models. K&N's site has many dyno tests to show how their air filters increase power--that might be a good way to compare power outputs of the different engines. Sorry I don't know more about the newer stuff, though. Oh, one more thing--if you get one with aftermarket tires/wheels, be cautious--taller tires will hurt your pulling power unless they changed the gearing. Good hunting!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Is there a better/ more-used 4Runner forum that I should use?

I ended up buying an '03 Limited 4.7L. I do have a couple questions about it, so what forum do you think I should direct them to?

And again, thanks for taking the time to respond... 1 out of the 812 "viewers" that opened the thread :beatsme:

Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Congratulations on your "new" rig! I wouldn't mind seeing how one of these does with the factory V8--all of mine have been with the older V6, and it was NOT impressive (that's why my latest one is getting a good ole Chevy 350 installed--should wake it up a bit!). As for other forums, I found a nice busy one at "toyota-4runner.org". I haven't been asking any questions there, but there is definitely a lot of traffic using it. Best of luck, and Happy New Year!